"Hey mom......hey.....hey dad!" I glanced around the dinner table, hoping someone - anyone - was listening. To my dismay, no one was. So I shouted at the top of my 4 year old lungs, "HEY. EVERYONE. WAIT. I've got somethin' to say..."

And that's why I'm here. Writing a blog that, let's face it, no one but my mom will read. (Shout out to Mrs. Kapke, who, after years of trial and error, eventually became my #1 listener!) But I'm used to being ignored, so it's really no big deal. Oh, the ramblings of a youngest...

Monday, January 9, 2012

Bella & William Wilberforce

Earlier this evening I decided to watch Amazing Grace. I'd never seen the movie, even though I'm pretty sure everyone and his brother told me watch it. Not only have I heard good things about it, however, but I left all of my movies at school. So it was between Amazing Grace and Marmaduke.

(If you haven't seen Marmaduke, don't. It is, bar none, the worst movie I have ever seen. And I actually LIKE Twilight. So you know it must be bad.)

Early on in the movie, Bella came and joined me. I didn't really think about the fact that maybe, just maaaaaybe, I shouldn't let my 7 year old niece watch a fairly graphic movie about slavery. But, you know, I'm the cool, hip, fun aunt....so I don't tell her no!

By the end of the movie, I'd pretty much fallen asleep (nothing against the movie...I just sleep a lot) and Bella was humming her own rendition of the song Amazing Grace. We were both content.

But then, as the credits began to roll, I glanced at Bella and saw a dangerously dubious look on her face. I crossed my fingers that she would NOT have any questions. I mean, she totally understood the slave trade and equality of men, right?

Have I ever told you how unlucky I am? I'm unlucky.

"Dani...?" She murmured.

"Um.....yes?" I muttered back, without even looking at her.

"I don't....I don't really understand...." She stammered.

WHAT? WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? GO ASK YOUR MOM! GO ASK MY MOM!

"Well," she began again, "I just don't really understand something."

She took a deep breath as I realized I'd been holding my own.

I promised her I'd do my best to answer her question. As relief washed over her face, she looked me in the eye and asked:

"Why do the men wear nightgowns?"

5 comments: